What’s your story? Do you need a bit of inspiration? Watch my video where I share 5 story lines the press LOVE!
A journalist will be looking for a good story or angle. Try to offer something new and different, not just ‘run-of-the-mill’. Tell stories that people want to hear, not the ones that you want to tell.
In an ideal world I’d love to get a journalist to write about me and the fact that I do PR. Unfortunately, that’s not newsworthy or interesting! (Only my mom, dad and husband care! Ha! Ha!)
You’ve got to think outside the box!
5 Proven Story Lines
- The founder’s journey – human behind the brand. The story of how a founder took an idea from humble beginnings to success, and how they overcame both business and personal obstacles along the way is a powerful story that many will be able to relate to and learn from. The story behind the company is not just a story about a product or service but a story about a personal journey that gives a face to the brand.
- Take a stance on an issue – stand up for what you believe in. Is there something happening in the sector you work in or area? Polarising? Maybe an issue that people don’t much about
- Powerful customer stories – telling a story about a client or customer success. Some sort of transformation. It’s a great way to tell the story of your company, products or services without being overly salesy. Journalists recognise sales brochure a mile away so tell your company story through the success of your customers.
- One of a kind or unique! – Is your service new? Is it a first of its kind? Are you disrupting your industry? Well tell them all about it.
- Flying your freak flag – is there something weird about you? Not like stalker weird or creepy weird! Something unusual that makes you stand out. Do you collect things that you can somehow relate to your business?
What you’re trying to do with your story is provide a compelling hook but also position your business so that it supports what you’re trying to achieve. It’s a balancing act.
As ever, I hope that was useful. If you have any questions or comments let me know.
Want more Tips?
- Get 5 shortcuts to getting press coverage. Download my FREE one-page checklist on 5 Simple Strategies You Can Do NOW To Get Press Coverage.
- Join my FREE Facebook Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/mediasavvycommunity/